Annual Report 2018-19
Where your money goes
Another worthwhile year for St Werburgh’s SVP, which would not have been possible without the fantastic support received from our friends and fellow parishioners. This contribution comes not only from your generosity in providing financial support, especially through second collections, but also in the very practical assistance that we receive from so many of you.
In the figure you will see how much financial and practical support we have provided to those local individuals and families in need, especially via our close links with the local schools and our own parish networks. Essential though this support is to those that we assist, the bulk of our time and attention is given to visiting the sick, housebound and lonely. With this purpose in mind, each week we visit 10-15 people, who may be living in their own home, in residential care or in hospital. The essence of this work is person-to-person contact and in recent months we have initiated a programme to extend our support across the growing number of Care Homes in Chester. Spending time with people is our greatest gift and our greatest reward.
In addition to our regular visits we organise a number of events throughout the year to bring together our circle of friends and beneficiaries, Catholic and non-Catholic, including:
- 2 Masses for the Housebound held at St. Werburgh’s and St Columba’s primary school
- Reconciliation Services in Lent and Advent
- A Summer Outing and Lunch for the lonely and housebound
- Carol singing at two local Care Homes
- A Christmas Lunch and Party for the lonely and housebound
- 2 Tea and Entertainment events at The Catholic High School
In addition in the last 12 months we have provided:
- Four free holiday weeks, with transport to and from our SVP Holiday Home in Talacre
- Financial support for holiday events and related activities for local school children
- Gift boxes to local families that otherwise would have no presents to open at Christmas
- Emergency winter support kits for the homeless
- Financial support to an SVP Conference in India with whom we are twinned
- Visits to HMP Berwyn in Wrexham
|In this last year we have also extended our support to those in prison. Alongside the dedication that Fr Paul has shown to the Catholic community at HMP Berwyn, several of our SVP members have attended Mass there on a Saturday morning and 2 members have become dedicated and regular visitors.|
Please feel free to contact the SVP at email@example.com if you would like to:
- Advise us of anyone that you know in the community that may require support
- Learn more about our work
- Consider joining our SVP Conference.
Thanks once again for your generous support, not only the financial support given by the whole Parish community, but also the practical support from many individuals who help us to make our events such a great success, especially the volunteer drivers!